Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ch-ch-ch Changes...

Back in England and the main changes seem to be

1. That people have started drinking cider with ice in it, apparently a skillful marketing campagin to mask the sharp taste of a badly selling brand.

And

2. All teenagers are wearing tight black skinny jeans.

Other than that things are pretty much the same. Even the smoking ban feels as though it's been here forever. People loll around outside pubs and restaurants provoking new vocabulary- smirking or slirting or something like that. Neither sounds very nice. It's taking up smoking so that you can go and flirt outside. How stupid can you get?

I went up to the Edinburgh festival with L*****, who was like an arts critic on speed. We would go our separate ways and meet up later in the day. In the meantime she would have seen eight different shows at locations all over Edinburgh while I had been drinking tea with my friend Bates. I used to do the mad rushing around and then about seven years ago I just stopped.

It was really good to be there though. I did see some interesting theatre, and Jos was there with his show and we said hello afterwards. It was lovely to see him. I met up with lots of old friends and for the first time since I got back to Britain I started to feel really here. I started to settle back in and see a bit of a future.

Back to telephone hell (my current employment!) the week after I sat there wondering why I spent two years having lavish fun in Paris instead of doing a sensible PGCE to earn me money.

My overall pace has definitely slowed down during my time in France. I know we all moaned about how tiring and what hard work it was, but basically, when the chips are down we were only really working in the afternoons. And 'work' in this case being defined as rolling around on the floor in various different formats.

Now I am back to real life and in my hellish skintness delighted to get a job telephoning GP's to try and get them to do telephone surveys. Ugh! I hate myself. Better though, I'm about to go and do some teaching in Scotland next week,(site specific, street and physical theatre) still needs preparing, oops. Then later in November another project starts and meanwhile my old friend Matt and I have a scheme boiling away.

All of this means work now, not drifting around watching 'My so called life' - boxset heaven.

Anyway. There you go. That's me for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hicham Aboutaam
Cell Phones