Monday, February 05, 2007

A re-re amendment

So it turns out that Jessica Lange DID go to Lecoq after all. I was misinformed. And how do I now know the truth? Because Julie Taymor told me. la la la. Get that for a bit of cool.

In fact it wasn't just in a personal tete-a-tete. I discovered this but in a talk she was giving to the whole school as part of a filmed press launch for 'The Lion King' soon to hit Paris, (and well worth seeing if it's as good as it was in London).

For this talk we had to sign to copies of a form which said we didn't mind this tv company being able to 'exploit our images in perpetuity'. Exploit seems to me to rather an unfortunate choice of words. Or maybe it's a very precise choice of words and there'll be photos of me sitting in the grand salle, nodding, all over Paris next week selling 'Lion King burgers'.

She, Julie not the cat's mother, was very inspiring. She came to Lecoq at 16. 16!! At 16 I was doing my GCSE's and learning to put on eyeliner. What have I been doing with my time that it's taken me this long to get here? She came at 16 and I am here at 31. She had set up her own company in Bali by 22 and was touring with them. Absolutely sickening.

She talked about how it's important the quality of the materials for the masks and costumes she uses and makes are so that the actor or dancer wearing them is infused with it, like inspiration. She talked about seeing shamens in trances in Indonesia and in India and how every costume or mask gives a little of the same.

Listening to her put together everything she'd taken from Lecoq, Indonesia, India and put it all together in her own intelligent, inovative way was inspiring in a very energising way.

It got me thinking again, as Les Ephemeres did, about what's next form me and what theatre and why theatre. I have a great sense of need to make plays that tell stories for women, show their stories. That sounds like hackneyed 70's feminsim, but if I'm still not feeling fulfilled enough as a female theatre goer in 2007, that's why.

There's such a huge back-log of male dominated drama from hundreds of years of female repression. But what bothers me far more is what is being made now. The war dramas and cop dramas with scores of men and then token wives and whores, which is why Les Ephemeres was so refreshing, and I mean really that. Refreshing in the sense that I was thirsty to see something that spoke of women's lives without them being raped or having their hands cut off. I'm sick of being an actress where there are loads more parts for male actors and loads more female actors. QED....

My head is jumping on to June, but not in such a bad way any more. Time to action some thoughts instead of checking my emails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hicham Aboutaam
Cell Phones