Thursday, November 30, 2006

too BIG

I wouldn't have thought it possible.

I though it was impossible.

Presque impossible.

Too big. For anything, at Lecoq to be too big, but yes, today, finally - the moment has arrived. And not just once. Twice, in the same day! Imagine that if you can.

It was invigorating class with Paola, all thunder and lightning. She's bullets man. After yesterdays laughter session with Joss this was a sharp return to the reality of how hopeless we all are. She entered, with her large march like a little, black, Italian raincloud. She knew just how bad we were going to be. Two victims: up they went. Non! Non! C'est pas ca. No, it wasn't ca. Or ca. Or ca. I rather enjoyed my beating. I was only sent off to re-enter about five times, so I had it very lightly. How old are you? She asked. You seem about two.

I found this very amusing as many of my friends have commented on how much my mask resembles my six month old nephew, who is also my screensaver. I think I had him on the brain when I was moulding my mask. They have they same large cheeks and rather gormless expression. Ahh.

And then it came. 'Your mask is too big. Look at these holes under your cheeks.'

Too big. Too big. I felt almost proud.

And then again with Susannah! Not specifically about my mask this time, but that our jeu was too big. Very interesting actually. She was saying it could be big and small at the same time. Or small with a large intensity. Not always the big bodies. Perhaps this is what happens in the week seven curriculum at Lecoq.

(extract from: The 'How to be a terific teacher at Lecoq!' Handbook.)

"Week Seven.

Hopefully by this stage, after a year and a quarter of being told to be bigger the students will have achieved a modicum of largeness. If not there is no hope, but we'll keep taking their money anyway. At this point it is useful to remind the students that they can be small and precise in their largeness. Ideally this should reduce some of the arm flailing."

At least this week we do all know how bad our autocours are. The feedback will be no surprise. I for one will be nodding my head along with the profs as they rip our mayhem to shreds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hicham Aboutaam
Cell Phones