Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lecoqian misconceptions

There are some things that do not seem to translate culturally and so provide difficulites in characterization general understanding between teachers and students. One of the main of these is that lepoard skin is classy, whereas in the UK leopard skin anything is the universal sign of a slapper.
Though to be fair leopard skin has made a bit of a come back recently. One very dear friend in Britain pulled her boyfriend about seven years ago in a leopard skin dress. We like to say she was ahead of her time rather than a slapper.
I don't want to dwell on unhappy memories from first year, but another difference of opinion is certainly what the phrase '100%' means. Remember the 100% animals week, where we actually were 100% animals in the human world?
And another of my bug-bears is the idea, often touted by Krikor, that there are bouffons in Shakespeare. Now, I'm working on the pedagogical basis that bouffons are these strange creatures who look at humans and mock them, essentially not in human form, but perfectly happy to dress up like them. Liz's bouffon had a triangular head. The only thing remotely like that in Shakespeare that I know of is Caliban, and he doesn't really mock humanity. Or Falstaff or Toby Belch I suppose you could say. But they are both fat men. Neither of them have triangular heads though they do have 'bands' that they drink and fart with.
W****** has pointed out to me that I've been doing a lot less blogging than I used to and you may have noticed that when I do it's usually only to recommend something on youtube. I am becoming a dreadful, dreadful addict. Every night I come home and look up something. Sometimes recommendations for school - Spike Jones, Karl Valentin and Denny Willis. And then as you have seen old favourtites - Anne of Green Gables, Willo the wisp and Taxi. And then anything that takes my fancy... I have found myself linking on from one thing to another and have ended up, shame on me, on a completely hillarious sequence of kisses from Jane Austen films set to some awful song by Bryan Adams. Though I have to admit Bryan was my first live pop concert aged about 13. You see how uncool I was. 'Got my first real 6 string... ooo, played it at the five and dime...' And now I'm thinking. Hum, where could I see a bit of that video? Where indeed.
You want to find an old bit of thirtysomething or my so called life. You want to see some hancocks half hour or monty python, you want to see Hancock's egg adverts with Patricia Hayes or the last episode of sex and the city.... ah and it just goes on. Almost anything that you can think of has been downloaded by someone somewhere. Dangerous, very, very dangerous.

I went and saw a clown show last night and had the fortune/misfortune to be sitting next to it's director J**. I had a Belgian running commentary all the way through 'Oh, that wasn't supposed to happen... That was my idea! The planes have got twisted up, he won't be able to do the next bit now. There's supposed to be a huge drop of planes now. It's hasn't happened. You see how he's playing anyway, even though it's all gone wrong?'

Happily autocours went well for me yesterday. Especially happily because I had one of my old teachers from my last drama school watching. She is an ex-Lecoq student too, and never particularly liked me or thought I was talented at drama school. I though I saw her watching Christophe's lesson on Thursday where we were making up poem, but from the mezzanine level above. Then I though, no, no I'm being stupid. I've just got that paranoid feeling that my old teacher who though I was crap is watching me fuck up yet again. And then she came up to me just before the first year's autocours and said hello. Well, at least I'm not a paranoid fantasist. I said, 'oh, I thought I saw you watching yesterday's lesson.' And she said 'yes, clown can be so excruciating can't it'. Lovely. Thanks.
Anyhow our autocours rocked so yah boo sucks to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hicham Aboutaam
Cell Phones